Seasonal Flu – Are you an easy target?
Don’t underestimate flu. Influenza or ‘flu’ as it is usually called, is not just a bad cold. It is a serious viral disease that, whilst as easily caught as the common cold, usually leads to more severe symptoms such as shivering, aching limbs, weak muscles, high temperature, headache – as well as possibly a dry cough, sore throat and runny nose. You may not feel well for many weeks.
In extreme cases, particularly if you are in one of the ‘at risk’ groups listed below – it could be fatal.
Our flu clinics will be open for booking from mid September
If you fall into any of the ‘at risk’ categories below, please telephone the surgery on 01787 475944 to book your appointment. We offer daytime, evening and weekend flu clinics.
- Vaccinations are offered to patients aged 65 years and over (this includes all patients who will be aged 65 or over on 31st March 2014).
- Patients aged 6 months or over in a clinical risk group as follows:
- Chronic respiratory disease and asthma that requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission
- Chronic heart disease
- Chronic renal disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic neurological disease
- Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment
- Multiple sclerosis and related conditions or
- Hereditary and degenerative diseases of the central nervous system
- Patients living in long-stay residential care homes or other long-stay facilities
- Patients who are in receipt of carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.